Sentimental Sunday: A visit with a 2nd cousin Monday, July 26, 2010

This past weekend I had a wonderful visit with a Fish 2nd cousin once removed. Our common ancestor is the elusive Victor Fish, born Hector Poisson (or Joseph Hector Poisson).

We swapped notes on ancestors, and strategized on how to determine which of three Hector Poisson entries in the Drouin records might be "ours".

My cousin was able to identify some people correctly in one photo that I showed her - that of Edna Fish and Bill Schragle whom she had met in person.

She gave me a book entitled "The d'Amours Family in Canada" written by Marbey Colburn Hornstein in 1961. Its a lot of fun to bone up on the history of French Canada.

The best surprise was when I turned to page 227 and saw my 9th or 10th great grandfather, Nicolas I Gamache, Seigneur of l'Islet listed as another of my cousin's ancestors too!

Its so great to live in SoCal - where everyone is bound to have a lot of distant cousins in the neighborhood - this most recent visit was to East of San Diego.

Good to meet you "Cousine"!

0 comments: