La Canada-Flintridge Fire - Eye Witness Report Saturday, August 29, 2009

The forecast for Marina Del Rey today is 89 degrees and smokey ... amazing, its never that hot at the beach and the smoke might be from the Rancho Palos Verdes Fire or the La Canada-Flintridge Fire.

I had to make a trip to Burbank today --- for a DNA seminar. As I drove up the 405 to the 101, I looked out to the East and North and couldn't believe what I saw..... [UPDATED Sept. 1 with photo]



There was a smoke plume as big as something from an atomic bomb or a volcano eruption! Really incredible. One of those experiences that remind you how small and helpless humans are in comparison to Mother Nature.

Fire days always make for a weird feeling in the air ... as I drove over the crest of the Sepulveda Pass, I could see that the San Fernando Valley was completely filled with smoke!

There were so many cars with flat tires or over heated on the side of the highway today ... Then at one point, a couple of big streams of water were falling from an overpass onto the 101 -- there were a few small signs posted "Flooded". Good day to have chosen to keep the top up on the convertible.

As I exited the 101 at Buena Vista, I could see that the air was much more smokey ... the thermometer in the car read 97 degrees. Wow, imagine being a fire fighter with all that gear on ... They are amazing!

When I got out of the car in Burbank, the air smelled pretty bad! So I hurried into the library. I hope the fire gets under some containment today.

Later when I maneuvered the car onto the 5 S, the Mercury hit 109! I had a view of the whole back part of the LA Basin ... and a good 1/3 of it seemed to be engulfed in smoke.

0 comments: